Thursday, March 20, 2014

Carter Paul Conterio: Birth Story

Carter Paul Conterio 
Born: March 2, 2014
Time: 1:17 PM
9 lb 0 oz 
19.5 inches




This pregnancy was completely different than with Kennedy. I was a lot more sick, I gained mostly just in my belly, and oh ya the fact that I had a 9 pound baby. My stomach was huge and I kept saying I am scared I will have a 10 pound baby but everyone kept saying nooo he will be like in the 7 range. Not so. Anyways I tried everything to get Carter out. I jumped, jogged, I tried oils, teas, herbs. Honestly if its on the internet I tried it. I could have been induced in February a week early but I felt weird picking his birthday and I didn't want pitocin >>to me thats what caused Kennedy's problems<< Also, at the beginning of this pregnancy I said I wanted him to be a March baby, I was born in March and I like the month of March (nothing against February). So secretly I still wanted him to be a March baby even though I wanted him out. 

March 1st, I went on a walk with Jeremy and on the way back I said to myself over and over again. "I am going to have a baby today." We decided to go on a little last date before the baby would come. We went to a movie and during the movie I had about 3 strong contractions. We came home and around 9 pm they started to be more frequent. Around 11 we called Jeremy's Dad to come over to watch Kennedy while we went to the hospital. At midnight we headed over to American Fork Hospital (which is a street over now from us). We checked in, they hooked me up, and checked me and said I was at a 2 (with Kennedy I didn't dilate on my own so this was good.) They said they would keep me for an hour and see if I changed. At about 1:30 she came back and I was at a 3. So they kept me. I got my epidural around 3:00 AM and they broke my water at the same time. I got really sick after this. I was throwing up a lot (which never happened with Kennedy). My blood pressure kept dropping, I would get extremely cold and start shaking. My epidural wore off 4 times (this did happen with Kennedy so I don't think my body likes them) At 7:00 am the nurse came in to check me and said I was at a 9.5. She informed me that in the next hour hour-half Carter would be here! Well 8:30 came and she checked me and I was still at a 9.5. Then around 9:30 am she checked me and I was still at a 9.5. At this point they figured out that Carter was  posterior. Which means he is head down but the wrong way. The doctor tried to get him to flip and they tried some other things but he wasn't moving. At 11:45 am the doctor came back in, he told me we could wait as long as I wanted because Carter was not under any stress. He then said he didn't think he was going to move, and I would most likely have to have a c-section. I cried, actually I bawled, I had no energy left after throwing up so much and feeling the contractions but I did not want to have a c section. I told him we would wait until 12:30 pm and if he hadn't flipped then we could. During that time I thought I was dying, I even said to everyone, "I am dying." I could feel everything. I didn't want them to give me another shot of the epidural because I thought maybe that was keeping me from dilating. Well finally around 1 they came in to take me to the "surgery room" I don't know what they call it. I have never been so scared in my life, I begged them to put me to sleep. I cried a lot. I know my arms were shaking uncontrollably, I threw up all over my hair and I remembered them asking if I could feel them poking me. After they pulled him out the Doctor said he was so wedged in there he would have never flipped and the fact that he was 9 pounds I would have had a hard time getting him out anyways. 

Carter came into this world healthy though and that is what we are thankful for! He is the sweetest little boy. He sleeps wonderfully. He usually wakes up about once a night. He does have reflux and I think he gets really gassy sometimes but he still is a good baby. He does have a great cry that can be heard a mile away. Kennedy is the sweetest little thing with him. She says things like, "I love baby brother" "I want to hold baby brother" "He is so cute" He is so little" "Hes a good baby" "His hair is so soft" She just wants to touch touch touch. Which she was sick and now Carter is. Thumbs down. Recovery has been much harder than with Kennedy, and I can't take a bath for another 3 weeks. I am dying. I just want to take a bath! 

These are some pictures from my phone
This was the day before I had him
38 weeks 


I don't remember this but its right after the c section when I was back in my room









His first bath! 




He won't sleep unless he is being held. This was our first night home.





Here are some pictures from our camera

























No comments: